Friday, May 7

Several folks have written to ask me about my Movable Type installation, so if you have no idea what I'm talking about, just disregard the rest of this post, since it's bound to bore you to tears.

I wanted to be able to use PHP and a bunch of features that MT offers that you can't use on a Blogger account, so I bought some hosting and a domain name from Godaddy.com. After a lot of research, I finally figured out how to actually get MT installed on a Godaddy hosted server (the configuration isn't the same as what's specified in the installation files for MT) and I got it up and running. I was able to export all the posts from Blogger into MT and it all worked just fine and dandy. However, the comments system I've been using is from Commentthis.com. (Not Haloscan--I'm using that for trackback. I wish I'd known about Haloscan in the first place when I originally made the Blogger site). Commenthis.com's system does not allow you to export your comment files. I didn't want to simply leave all the comments behind that have been made so far and I didn't want to have to go thru all sorts of manual cutting and pasting of these comments into the Blogger file I created to import into MT, either. (However, recently one very kind blog reader did take the time to manually cut and paste all the comments that have been made so far into a file for me. I just don't have time to put the entries in this file into the correct format that I can actually use.)

So, to make a long story short, I got MT installed and working and then pretty much put the MT site on hold for the time being, until I have time to address the commenting issue. The site you're reading right now is the original Blogger hosted site, and doesn't utilize MT at all. A few of you have wondered about the 'look' of the blog--is it some MT template? Well, no. I just modified the hell out of the original Blogger template.